What is Esport Law?
Esport law (in Germany correctly also e-sports) as such, is a new area of law and is characterized above all by the drafting of player contracts for esport teams and the preparation of sponsorship contracts. Particular challenges in social security law, in the question of the minimum wage and other requirements, must be taken into account, especially in the Federal Republic of Germany. It is also important to observe the requirements of game manufacturers, in case of participation in certain loungers. It is also relevant to define money flows precisely and to consider the legal implications. This is the case, for example, in the case of tournament profits or revenue from streaming activities.
What services do I offer as a lawyer?
My strengths as a lawyer are the fact that I am a gamer myself and have been working in the gaming industry since 1998, both as an entrepreneur and later as a lawyer and consultant. I can therefore offer contracts and consultations in a way that no other law firm offers, because I know the industry, the needs and speak the language of gamers and e-sportsmen.
- Contract design, such as the drafting of player contracts, sponsorship agreements, NDA, cooperation agreements and all other contracts that are relevant for esports teams. This includes advice on social security law and business start-ups.
- Creation of investor contracts for esports teams or esports start-ups. As an entrepreneur, I have already founded or participated in almost 10 companies. My advice on investments starts with contacting an investor and ends with the dry signature.
- Creation and consulting within the framework of platform offers in the field of esports, cloud, social media or services for e-sports enthusiasts
- Support for contracts in the field of e-sports events, including agreements with game publishers, organizers, teams, sponsors and media partners, taking into account aspects of the protection of minors and trade law. Here I have relevant experience as a whole and are also on hand to provide comprehensive advice in addition to the preparation of the contract.
- Contracts in the area of tension between streaming platforms such as Twitch or publishing platforms such as YouTube in compliance with broadcasting law, consumer protection law and monetization. Here I can access an extensive network of tax advisors and other professional service providers.
- Copyright issues related to streaming, event events, as well as, of course, data protection issues
- Creation of general terms and conditions.
- Consulting and brand issues and international expansion
In my more than 10 years of experience as a lawyer, I have also gained extensive legal experience up to the Federal Court of Justice. More information can be found here.
Which clients have I already advised?
Unfortunately, due to legal regulations, I cannot publish names of clients. However, my clients include large professional esports teams as well as esports startups, as well as smaller semi-professional teams and registered clubs. For every type of client I am able to offer tailor-made offers and consulting concepts, although Of course I also pay attention to the financial possibilities.
I myself have 20 years of professional experience and 10 years of experience as a lawyer. I have already founded six of my own companies and have been involved in other companies. I have completed negotiations with investors in large numbers and acquired experience in dealing with employees, suppliers and business partners. I regularly share these experiences with clients and clients to help them create business plans, business codes, and pitching decks.
I always combine my management advice holistically with my legal advice, so that a client receives effective support and legal advice. This allows clients to focus on their own strengths, while as a consultant I deal with things like government communication, operations and legal challenges. In this context, I can also offer clients, for example, the outsourcing of a legal department at fair rates.
Sponsors are essential both in the field of esports and for social media operators such as influencers. Thanks to my almost 20 years of experience in the sales sector with various advertisers and agencies, I can not only make sponsorship agreements legally secure, but also optimize their content within the scope of my consulting services. As part of the consulting by Esports Consulting GmbH, I can also take over the acquisition of sponsors and advertisers on a retainer basis.
As a lawyer, I can develop contracts with esport teams for both endemic and non-endemic sponsors. I always keep an eye on professionalism and fairness to ensure both the protection of sponsors and the balance of contract terms for esports teams or influencers.
Esport Player Contracts
Professionalization in the field of esports usually goes hand in hand with the use of professionally created player contracts, sponsorship contracts and a professional approach to cash payments, social security and sustainability. Through my experience in the field of esports, I can create these contracts appropriately for the respective team and of course take into account special features, ratios to streamers or other revenues, for example from Twitch, YouTube, advertising or tournament wins.
In my shop there are two general contract patterns for free download. Of course, these patterns still require individual adaptation. In addition to social security law, special regulations of the individual leagues and/or game operators must also be observed. As part of the financing of an esports organization, tournament revenues, revenue from influencer activities as well as revenue from streaming activities, such as on Twitch, must be considered, put into a fair relationship and be constructed legally cleanly.
Contracts are also not the end of professionalisation. Professionalization must also be lived in an esport organisation, which is why, as a lawyer and entrepreneur, I am not only available for the drafting of contracts, but also offer advice and security for the management within the framework of coaching.
eSports Consulting GmbH, where I am managing director and 100 shareholders, is a full-service agency with a focus on legal and management consulting for the fast-developing esports industry. The services include the organization of events, marketing as well as legal and entrepreneurial consulting as well as the mediation of persons and the creation of business concepts.